Those injuries include falls, cuts, and shocks related to holiday lights, electrical decorations, and Christmas trees.
The following safety tips to keep yourself and your family safe while decorating:
- Always turn off holiday lights when you leave your home or go to sleep.
- Carefully inspect holiday light strings each year and discard any with cracked or frayed cords or sockets, or loose connections.
- Keep yourself, your decorations and equipment at least 10 feet away from power lines.
- Never exceed the maximum number of strings or devices that may be linked together, as indicated on decoration packaging.
- Never staple or nail through electrical wires or extension cords, as this may damage the wiring or insulation and cause electrical shock or fire.